In this presentation, Dr. Kent Weigel discusses genomic selection for feed efficiency in dairy cows.
The goal of the project is to increase the efficiency and sustainability of producing milk including 5 specific aims:
- Develop a dairy feed efficiency database seeded with genotype and phenotype data for 8000 Holstein cows.
- Determine the genetic architecture of feed efficiency and build a foundation for genomic selection of more efficient animals.
- Develop and implement genomic breeding tools to produce cows with enhanced feed efficiency.
- Develop and implement practical decision support tools to improve whole herd feed efficiency.
- Educate future leaders, voters, and consumers about key practices in dairy husbandry that promote feed efficiency and environmental sustainability.